Sunday, August 08, 2004
READ IT! The Final Confession of Mabel Stark by Robert Hough -- A+
I don't think I've given a book an A+ since Matthew Kneale's English Passengers. I had just finished Wicked and loved it, but then I read this one and it was one of those rare books where you miss it when it's away from you. I carried this book with me everywhere I went, cracking it over while riding elevators, waiting in line (for anything), and even while walking down the street. Though a fiction book, it's written about the real life of Mabel Stark, a tiger tamer during the heydey of the circus (first half of the 20th century). Despite this woman's unbelievable life and circumstances, you buy it, every word. She has an insight into people (especially men) which is refreshing, insightful, and always amusing. You cheer her on through her several marriages and tut tut through her even more numerous tiger-inducing injuries. Despite the multiple scary attacks from her striped beasts, you are swept up in her deep passion and understanding for these creatures (even if once in awhile you think she needs a reality check). This book was good from beginning to end and only had one part which was a bit too predictable (though still one of the most poignant moments in the book). I loved it. You'll enjoy it. Buy it, read it now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment