Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Hooray Hooray Hooray, I Am Employed!

Happy happy joy joy the world is no longer a black pit of despair. That’s right, drama queen me! I got a job, sort of. My temp agency got me a 6 month “temp job” at the same place I’ve been temping before (major financial institution). The difference is I’m working in their townhouse in midtown and making a dollar less an hour. It’s still a comfortable $19/hour, though naturally, since I’m a temp, I don’t get any benefits (here’s praying that if I get hit by a car, it finishes me off). You know, when you have a steady income, even if it’s a job you’re not particularly interested in (though not despising), it changes your whole outlook on the world. I feel I can do anything again. I guess it goes to show that all my confidence in wrapped up in my job. Lord, if I am ever fired from a job, I will probably have to be committed.

Well now, what happens? Do I end up stuck in a fairly good paying, though unfulfilling job that is well below anything I’ve trained for had experience for? I hope not. I will continue to look for a job I’m more well-suited to, though with a bit less fervor than before.

I have to say though, this townhouse/office space is really beautiful. It used to be some rich family’s home about a hundred years ago and the house is very old-money-looking, complete with dark, thick wood paneling and staircases, red velvet wallpaper, stained glass windows, and a fireplace in the lobby. *sigh*

So, despite the fact that I have a Master’s degree and about $70,000 in educational debit (and a residual $1000 in credit card debt – see my curses about AmEx below), I am now a receptionist in a “make money make money!” organization. I am a receptionist. I am a receptionist.

Oh well, fuck. I have a job. There are definitely worse situations to be in. And I should know.

Sidenote: Okay, I was a total idiot for not remembering this exactly before, but Feingold was the ONLY senator to voice his dissent at the USA Patriot Act Bill – a move I’m sure plenty of Democrats (and maybe a few Republicans) wish now they had made then.

Speaking of Democrats, I’m still on the John Edwards bandwagon. It’s just because he’s soooo cute! *cough* God, wasn’t that one of the said reasons for having Dan Quayle run with Bush? “Women will vote for him because he’s so handsome.” I’m sorry, because I have a vagina I vote with it? I thought the stereotype of voting with your nether regions was left to men. Anyway, I still like Edwards very much and even signed up on his website (so I have been suddenly flooded with emails). I’ll even cough up some money for his campaign (I’m sure my donation will buy a roll of stamps). But hey, if you give him $35, you get his book “Four Trials” for free! Unlike Kerry whom I can’t relate to (I don’t care if he was Forrest Gump in a past life), and Dr. Dean whom I find totally confusing and comical (I LIKED his fanatical speech in Iowa), or the General (I hate his stance on Israel), or Lieberman (ugh), John Edwards is someone I DO relate to and HOPE I can trust (as mentioned earlier, Feingold is the only politician I’ve felt that about).

No comments: