(In other words, Cruel Cruel Missoula, Part III)
Missoula is really starting to suck in a lot of ways.
As some of you know, I did something out of character for me -- I abruptly quit my temp job at a non-profit to take a new job at the university here. Though I very much want to work at the university, I really did want the job at the non-profit to work out, but the manager there strung me along and screwed me over on more than one occasion, which led me to change my mind about "sticking it out."
Some of you said I should write both the manager and the temp agency and tell them what was going on. I don't really believe in the "Fuck you, you suck, I quit!" exit, so thought the best thing was to write a polite, diplomatic, but honest letter to Shannon at the temp agency. So, that's what I did. I wrote an email where I thanked her for finding me employment in Missoula, said that although the non-profit was an interesting place and had a couple of great people working there, that there were some serious management issues she should be aware of. I specifically told her not to share my letter with the non-profit, since I wanted to try to leave on a peaceful note and not cause a big disturbance. I also told her that for another reason. When I had gone in to meet her on a previous occasion, I told her how I had applied to the university, but didn't want her to mention that. I found out shortly thereafter she had immediately emailed the manager, Kyle and told him exactly that. Nevertheless, I wrote the letter, then awaited her response.
Her response consisted of two sentences. Good luck at the university, and oh yeah, because you quit without notice, you can never work for us again.
Um, okay.
I wrote Steph, a co-worker at the non-profit whom I liked very much and told her basically what I had done and what Shannon had said. Steph wrote me back several hours later to tell me that Shannon had written the non-profit, told them, "I can't believe J. just quit like that!" and then proceeded to forward them the contents of my "confidential" email to her. So much for my specific request not to do that. So much for being a professional employment agency.
I'm pretty disgusted. Although I knew it would be a bit uncomfortable until the dust settled, I had wanted this to all end on a civil note. I hadn't left the organization hanging in any way, since a) when I did leave, I made sure I had no tasks/projects left undone, and b) I was fully aware of how Kyle had gone behind my back to interview another person for my position.
But I guess, in the end, I did leave abruptly, which I didn't want to do, but couldn't help. It's just too bad that on my way out the door, I had to be stabbed in the back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Their loss is your gain. Temp agencies...ugh. I'm sorry you are so troubled with how it all went down, but you did choose the best thing for YOU! I hope the university job is awesome in comparison.
There has to be something you can do about that. Does the US have the Better Business Bureau? Emailing the company what you said when you specifically asked for confidentiality is extremely not-cool, in the sense of someone ought to pay. Best of luck with the University. After all you've had to deal with, a little good luck would not be amiss.
Just to play devil's advocate...let's say I had someone working on a project for a client quit on me without notice. Then email me this unsolicited big critical letter about the client, and said 'oh, yeah, don't tell anyone what I said.' Hmm, would I respect the wishes of the person who barely worked for me at all and, in my opinion, fucked me over, or show the client I've worked with in the past and say 'Look at all the shit this loser said, at least she's the university's problem now. HAHAHA.'?
Post a Comment