For the most part, I've thought that he hasn't really affected me as much as he has the others, both because of the seclusion of my desk and because I
So, when it was announced he wouldn't be in today, I felt like a tight balloon that had just deflated a little. Ahhh. It surprised and slightly disappointed me at how strong the relief was. But oh well, might as well enjoy it.
I know I've been pretty hush hush about my current long-term temp day job, but that's mostly to save my own butt. And because I do like working at this institution and would hate for some ridiculous person to take my words and make a bigger deal out of them than they truly are. I was talking to April (hi April!), a childhood friend of mine on the phone the other night and I told her about how in the past year or so, I've noticed an upsurge in people "finding" my blog and responding (typically through the email account I provide). Most of it is positive, but sometimes someone gets offended if I didn't say something swimmingly spectacular about something they hold dear. And you know how the internet is - people can be vicious, and show a side you don't typically see when confronted face to face. Mean people suck! I've also had very interesting emails, usually from people who don't identify themselves, who either have additional, intriguing information after reading one of my blogs, or have followed up on something I've written. It's both flattering and a bit startling. The world is a big, fantastic, kinda scary, place.
So, today should be a good day, since I don't work at Shop-n-Smile tonight (Praise God!), and Scary Man won't be here. (Enter doughnut!). The only downside is that I never have enough to do (*ahem* hence the near daily-blog). I will be given a project to do, will do it and hand it bac
k, and after getting one of those ,"Man, that was fast," comments, will wait while someone scrambles to give me something else. It's a weird line you walk as a temp. Do something too fast and too efficiently, then you become this annoying person that they have to keep "finding work" for. Do it too slowly, and everyone hates you for being a drag on the office and a waste of cash. So, although I do feel guilty for blogging, emailing, and taking care of personal finances and "stuff" during the day, I don't know what else to do besides sit here and look cute, and well, come on, I already do that!Things should get better when the other boss (the female one) gets back and gives me one of her cool, "thinking" projects to do (as opposed to something that involves a copy machine or three-hole punch). That always makes me feel like I'm really earning my keep, and they tend to be interesting to boot.
Until then, blog on sister, blog on!
4 comments:
I had one of those temp jobs once, where it started out with the 'wow, you are fast' bits and then the chick would mumble about having to find me something to do, so I slowed down a bit, and then I got told off for taking too long and she got paranoid or something and had the tech guys come in and take away my web browser, but I needed it to do the work, so I just got it back myself and went on with my job. I just couldn't win. So, I eventually left. Then, that chick left and Cabol got her job. Yay for Cabol, but not so yay for the me that had to worry about crazy chick.
Luckily, this woman is not crazy. In fact, she's a VERY nice woman and i like her a lot. The only thing is that she's constantly going, "Oh, I have so much work to do, I can't get out from under ALL this work." So, I'll say, "Give it to me! I'll take it!" But it's all about organizing and getting things straight before giving it to me. Kind of frustrating.
As a former supervisor, I know how sometimes it's just a lot quicker to do it yourself than to teach an "underling," but I also learned that you MUST take the time, and that it pays off in the long run for both of you.
Yah, I got the crazy lady's job, and then we got a new boss and another new person (and Andy wore his underwear backwards all day) and suddenly I became the crazy lady. Perhaps that job was cursed.
I should point out that my wearing of the underwear backwards had nothing to do with Cabol's job obtaining a new person. It might have made her crazy, however.
Post a Comment