Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dumbledore is So Gay

I'm not sure why, but I find that totally cool. Not that his sexuality should be made a big deal of, but I think it was awesome of J.K. Rowling, who has almost as much power as Oprah (almost), could put something out there, particularly to eight bazillion children, showing them that one of the greatest and most beloved characters in children's fiction is gay, and instantly make it both a shock and no big deal. I can't imagine children across the globe going, "What? He's gay! Fuck Harry Potter then!" After the initial surprise, I think with the love for the books (and Rowling herself), it will just be like an "Oh" moment for children, and pass. If she had put it IN the story, then it would have been a political lightening rod, and rather tiresome, while anti-gay groups flipped their shit. Now, it's just a footnote, as it should be.

Besides, the only people who I assume would make a big whiny deal out of it would be the same people who defiled her books as evil, witchcraft, satanic, etc. Ho hum..., anyway.

She outed him in Carnegie Hall. I like her style.

"Oh my god," Rowling said, "The fan fiction!"

She ain't kidding. Not that slash wasn't pumping strong before this, but I'm sure this will inject a bit more thrill into those authors. There's been tons of Lupin-Sirius fan fiction already. Running through characters in my head, Luna seems a likely choice for gay or bi...or maybe just asexual. She was sort of consumed by her own thoughts...

And though Rowling didn't reveal it, I can easily see his long, scholarly relationship with Nicholas Flamel being collaborative in other ways...

As Beau said, "It's not relevant to the story." Exactly, and that's why I think it's genius she did it this like this. In a very subtle way, it promotes acceptance. Thanks, Rowling.

2 comments:

Beachgal said...

Yeah, what you said (cause I couldn't say it any better)

Anonymous said...

I think Luna has a huge crush on Ginny. *g*