Well, so I left private banking, finally, and got a new job. Surprisingly, I miss my banking job, or really, I miss the people there so much. They were so fun, so great to talk to.
But, I did get a new job, HOORAY! *throws confetti* It only took me *counts on fingers* FIVE months to get a decent job that matched my interests/qualifications. It's funny, I'm absolutely livid that I wasn't able to secure a suitable job before this, and I've already had three people say, "Five months? That's it? Wow, you're lucky! I know someone it took nine months/one year/18 months, etc."
Like everything though, it was probably all for the best. I am now working for a non-profit organization that does work in developing countries ("third world"). It feels good to work for a place that is doing the kinds of things you always want to be a part of. I also get to do administrative work, which I love. It has its tedious parts, but don't all jobs?
But do you really care about that? Probably not. Maybe you'll care a little bit more about my new object of lust -- I call him, for the purposes of this blog, A-MOT. Why? Well, one of the first questions a friend of mine asked was, "Is he a MOT?"
"What's a MOT?" I asked
My friend and roommate laughed. "Where have you been?" he asked.
"MOT. 'Member of the Tribe.' A Jew!" said my friend
(Both my friend and roommate are Jews).
Ohhhhhh, okay. Well, actually, he does happen to be a MOT, after all, or as they used to say about my other ex from Long Island, "He's got the map of Israel on his face."
So, now we have A-MOT. You know what the MOT is, but what's the "A"? I'll let you fill in that one.
Unlike the Hot Mailroom Boy, this guy appears to be somewhere closer to my age, my education, and my height. But unfortunately like the HMB who passed right by me several times a day, A-MOT is hidden in a side room, squeezed in with a half dozen others. We are in different departments, and there's not much of a chance to talk to him.
GRRRR! More scheming and plotting! I hate this!
So, I did what any self-respecting woman would do. I Google'd him. And well, I found a young man, with his same exact name. No photos to confirm it though, so I remain confuzzled. BUT, if if IF the guy I googled is the SAME guy at work...I LOVE HIM! I thought this was a young man in his mid-20's who was relatively intelligent, maybe a degree in Poli Sci or something. Well, the guy online was fantastically intelligent, had traveled around the world doing "good deeds" (and written thoughtful articulate analysis of philanthropy/wealthy people/public service), had gone to great schools (yes, we're talking higher higher education), likes hammocks (I LOVE hammocks) and even dabbled into creative writing. Well, could this be any more perfect? Or pukey?
The only drawback is something that is also one of the few drawbacks at work. I don't know, maybe it's because it's a place of well-intentioned, development workers who are very serious and very sincere about what they do. Maybe it's all the hardship they have to see, how little of it they can actually help, and the sadness it can bring (for instance, we do a lot of work on AIDS in Africa, and it is so much more horrible there than I ever imagined). But my point is, unlike my last job where I laughed and was silly (and still worked hard, of course!), and where on several occasions I hung around hours 'after hours' to talk with co-workers I'd really come to adore in a short time. The people at my new job are all very nice, very hospitable. People talk with me (I just cannot remember their names), and seemed geninely concerned with my happiness at work. I've been told several times just how happy they are that I was finally hired and working there, and that I have been happily expected.
But...(here we go with the glass half-empty crap)...
They are very politically-correct, very serious about their work and working in general. I like a place that likes to work. I get angry and nervous in an environment where work is disrespected. But...I must be in a place that has that release...those moments of hanging around each other for a couple of minutes to laugh. Teasing and joking each other, sometimes crossing that line just enough to be exciting. Always being good to each other, and always honest (and all that comes with that). My new job, everyone is very nice, but no one is particularly fun or funny. I see a few glimmers and I feel embarrassed because I seem to latch onto it, and dive in, with a bit TOO much gusto.
Perhaps it's because I'm too new in a tight-knit group. I've been in atmospheres like that before. You just have to be kind to everyone and wait it out. Sooner or later, they come around. Just ask all of my Scandinavian buddies. Though I was only at the bank for a couple of months and I was close with many by the time I left.
One of my points about this is that my co-workers are not the kind where I can go up to them and whisper, "Hey, that A-MOT guy, how old is he? Does he have a girlfriend? Boyfriend? Does he like shiksas? Is he psycho?"
--------
The other day I finally got a chance to be 'alone' with A-MOT (by the fax machine); it was a rare moment. I tried to take advantage of it by talking to him, though we didn't get very far. He was friendly enough, but I wasn't getting any big signals. He did seem to have a sense of humor though! Thank God!
Here's hoping, FOR ONCE, the guy I like moves fast and moves first. I hate always being the one.
-------------
Oooooh! M*A*S*H is on! Hope it's an early one. Gotta go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment