
When I was thinking of stuff to list that I was truly thankful for, I realized that it kind of sounded pretentious -- a state I try to avoid if I can. I've always had sort of opposing views about talking about travel. Obviously, most of my blog is based on my travels and what happens to me (which is often a bit like Inspector Gadget), so I can't hate it that much. But on the other hand, I can't STAND travel books and I hate when people go on and on and on about their wonderous glorious travels. It always seems like bragging to me, furthermore, a bit of a "ha ha ha, I've been somewhere you haven't, I have a lot of money, and now my life is more full and interesting than yours!" Well, since I'm always broke, and my life is a constant work in progress, maybe I can go ahead with what I truly feel anyway.
Things I am thankful for:
1) My husband
For years and years, marriage, for the second time, wasn't something I really ever planned, let alone wanted. Our elopement kind of surprised everyone, including ourselves somewhat, but now I know just what a smart...lucky....great thing we did. Marriage certainly isn't easy, and I'm slowly weeding out my more selfish tendencies after years of singlehood, but choosing Beau to be my best friend and lover for the rest of my life *knock knock* has been a true blessing, even for this non-believer. He's not just like me (though we are amazingly similar), and he's no opposites-attract type, he just fits every part of me.
I love you, Beau. Thank you.
2) Travels of a poor white trash chick
The only reason I ever got to travel at all was due to my major in undergrad -- French (and Political Science). I had grown up very poor in a very affluent Phoenix suburb, and dreamed of going to France one day, hell, dreamed of leaving the country at all, which was a complete fucking fantasy for someone who could barely afford her public school fees. As an undergrad I used my student loan money (and am paying like an indentured servant now!!!) to study abroad in Strasbourg for six months. This gave me the chance to do some traveling around Europe (bless Eurorail passes).
My master's degree, studying Southeast Asia, allowed me to travel to the Philippines and later gain a connection which led me to my job in Bangkok, Thailand. The salary I got from my Bangkok teaching job (mostly my end-of-year contract completion bonuses) allowed me to travel some around Asia and eventually to Australia and New Zealand.
And finally, due to Beau and I spending lots and lots of money (including him bravely cashing in some retirement money), we were able to move to New Zealand.
So you see, it's possible. Every time I meet someone new who finds out where I've been, I often get, "Oh my god, that's great! I've never been anywhere! I wish I could go somewhere!" You can! You just have to be like Beau and I, and be willing to go broke to do it. Naturally, not everyone finds that an appetizing trade-off.
But I tell you, as much as I hate being poor, I wouldn't take that money back for a second if it meant I had to also give up some of the crazy, awesome stuff I've been able to do. This is a fascinating place, this world of ours. I have seen so much beauty in every shape and form. We all make our own decisions and live with them...which leads me to...
3) I did it my way
I've purposefully carved out my life in such a way that I was an island for many years. On the con side, there's those lack of funds again, as well as a lack of familial support. But all the pro's I gained has been worth all those dark times of teeth-clenching, suck-it-up aloneness. Most of my decisions and the direction I steered my life in have been frowned upon by my family (and a good many more has completely befuddled them), and I haven't regretted it at all. In high school, my parents considered my French classes stupid since Spanish was the logical choice for one living in Arizona. True, but I didn't want to take Spanish. As an undergrad, I eventually dumped my pre-med major, and all the dismal grades it carried, and picked up French and Political Science. There was an immediate and continual outcry from my family. That moment changed my life. Not only did my grades and my happiness begin to shoot skyward, but I learned that life decisions have to be made by the person who is actually living that life, not others who have their own agendas. After that point, I took the reins of my life, and as Frank said, "Regrets, I've but a few." It's true. I've made dumb decisions, I'm not presently where I want to be in my life, but I have so few regrets. My life, for all its craziness, is a good, good life. I'm thankful.
4) My friends
I don't have that many, and I don't stay as close to them as I like. And the older I get, the less eagerly do I seek out or try to sustain any new friendships. And yet, my few scattered friends across the globe are real diamonds. If you're my friend, and you're reading this, I love you. Let's keep writing, no matter what. And if you don't hear from me, please, have faith and patience in me and try again.
5) My education, despite it's eternal poverty-inducing effects
As a poor, pathetic kid, I always saw education as that hidden trap door. That escape hatch that would get me out of a life I loathed. In many ways, it has -- it has given me travel, incredible jobs, and most of all...opportunity. To me, education always has been, and always will be, the vehicle of opportunity. As an adult, I can truly see now what having kind/intelligent/attentive parents can do for a child. I can see how money gives options. I can see how the right location can yield possibilities. I had none of those, but I had education, and it has taken me far. I have a lot of bitterness on how in this country today, if you are poor, and not a valedictorian of your school, you will bankrupt yourself to go to college, and UBER bankrupt yourself to go to grad school. I have student loans now that equal the price of a house, and I think that's not fair. You could say I chose to go to school, and I absolutely have, and I don't regret it. But it's real tough to be in grad school, surrounded by professors' and medical doctors' kids who didn't have to worry about Stafford loans, and not have that soft landing after graduation. NONETHELESS, I am thankful for my education, which has given me such interesting opportunities, and allowed me to live this life I love. I am thankful.