experienced my first, true, "rural" environment (in a teeny tiny Missouri town). You learn pretty quickly that different things are valued in a rural town.I have never really thought of Missoula as rural or small town. It seems almost like a suburb to me, though there's nothing to be a suburb of since Missoula, at around 65,000+ people, is one of the largest cities in the state of Montana (true). People often comment that Missoula is a big city where the people feel like/think they live in a small town. Living here now, I get that. I just read this from Outdoor Magazine: "If Missoula were a woman, she might show up for a first date in a battered pickup, grease on her overalls and fly rod in hand. She would look ravishing."
ANYWAY, last ni
ght while working at Shop-n-Smile, I saw a new product in my Domestics section that made me burst out laughing, shake my head, and say, "Ohhh this is so Montana."In one of our many bedsheets aisles is one filled with typical kid's sheets, blankets and pillowcases: Disney's Princesses, SpongeBob, Batman, Superman, etc. It reminded me of the Star Wars sheets we had when I was a youngster.
So last night, I'm tending the aisle, straightening out pillows, lining up sheets, when I notice a new spot of kid's sheets.....wait for it.....
JOHN DEERE!
Wooooo hoooo! Sheets, fuzzy blankets, and your own embroidered pillow with "John Deere" emblazoned across the front and a picture of their trademark giant green tractor. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I find that hysterical and awesome and jus
t soooooo country! I can't imagine that in any of the other places I've lived: NYC, Arizona, hell, even WISCONSIN which worships the holy farmer, (well, I am referring to Madison and Milwaukee now), would carry a product like that. Rural Missouri, sure.I thought it was strange and amusing when months ago in the Housewares section I saw both place mats and coasters with John Deere on them, but the kid's bedding is just simply the best.
"Here Timmy, look what Mommy bought you. Your very own John Deere bedsheets!"
Feel the love.
-------------------------------
And check out this John Deere crib! YES!
Laz, Jillian, Cabol, be a good mother and show your babies you REALLY love them. I mean, come on!
Laz, Jillian, Cabol, be a good mother and show your babies you REALLY love them. I mean, come on!

12 comments:
Oh. My. Word. That's just another thing to add on to the list of reasons why I'm glad Audrey sleeps with us and not in her crib. We do actually have a crib, and the bedding set was sewn by my aunts in Winnie the Pooh fabric. :) A only spends a little bit of time there each day though when I need to run and do something really fast without worrying what she'll get into.
The whole "sleeps with us" thing has always fascinated with me. Several of my friends have their infants sleep with them too.
I am TERRIFIED of that prospect! I could TOTALLY see, knowing my sleeping patterns and general crappy luck, that I would roll over onto the baby or hit or kick it. It really scares the pants off of me.
My friend said, "No, you don't understand, you KNOW the baby is there the whole time, you sense it, it just doesn't happen."
I totally believe him, but for me personally *shiver* too scary.
I, personally, have John Deere popcorn tubs...honest.
Oh and also, *sigh* I would TOTALLY get that sheet set for my kids. I guess you can take the the girl out of the small town but can't take the small town out of the girl.
Anya sleeps with us. Sometimes Cabol will tell me in the morning 'You almost squashed the baby last night!' But hey, I never hurt a cat in the bed all these years, so I think she's pretty safe.
Well, I've never "hurt" a cat, but every now and then I roll and hear an indignant "MEW!" coming from Sabina, and then I adjust.
But I don't think it would be okay for me to crabbily push a baby off the bed.
Jenn, really, it is hard to hurt a baby while you're asleep unless you're not being responsible about the whole thing. No smoking, no heavy drinking, no drugs for anyone, no blankets or pillow for baby. Audrey sleeps on the outside of the bed, between me and a bedrail. She also decided she likes the middle of the bed better and sleeps about 3 feet from the edge, which barely leaves enough room for Steve, lol. Poor Steve! No couch, no room in bed either.
But really, even if you're a heavy sleeper now there's a good chance that would change with having a kid. Audrey's sleep patterns are such that I usually wake up a few minutes before she's going to, because she'll heave a big sigh and move a little when she starts to wake up.
I know it's hard to believe, but your awareness of that little person is so much bigger than anyone can imagine before experiencing it. But the fact that it worries you means you'll be more responsible and smart about it, and a lot safer, too!
Well, like I said, I totally believe you guys, but it still scares me.
My cousin's girl would love those sheets! She's 10 or so and should already be in Future Farmer's of America. And, Knoxville would so sell those sheets, too, and might just do it somewhere. It's a bigger city than Missoula. :)
And, the co-sleeping thing. Catie slept with us often, and let me tell you, I didn't sleep when she did, not a deep sleep. I woke with every move she made, and every move Robert or the cat made, too. It was about the only time I got any rest, as I'd nurse her to sleep, lying beside me. Heck, I still wake with every move or sound the three of them make. :P When you have a baby, sleeping completely changes for you.
There's lots of ways to do most things, and kid sleeping arrangements is included in that. There's cribs, basinettes, moses baskets, bedside cosleepers, in-bed cosleeper nests, straight-up cosleeping. I'm thinking maybe we'll just pop her in a sack and hang her from a hook sometime...that should keep her out of trouble.
My biggest worry with her sleeping in our bed is a cat jumping on her. But...I'd worry about that if she was in a crib, too. Unless the crib had a roof. Sometimes I'll sort of make a little cage around her with my arms to keep the scary kitties out. They are pretty well behaved, though. Except that one time.
I've never really seen JD bedding, but we shop at Tractor Supply a lot...where all the toys are things like teeny tractors.
By the way, I'm extremely confident that product is sold somewhere in Wisconsin! You know it must be true.
My son loves tractors and would absolutely adore those sheets, if he wasn't so enamored with his Lightning McQueen bedding.
We didn't co-sleep much with Bubba, he was fine in his crib.
Well, we did co-sleep for naps a bit, but not so much overnights. He slept better in his crib. Some mornings we'd snuggle in and nurse and sleep some more, but that's about it. Now it's impossible to co-sleep with him, because he's an absolute bed hog and he tosses and turns something fierce. I don't think I was overly worried about smooshing him, because you KNOW he is there, like the others have said.
Post a Comment