Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Men and Food - A Strange Relationship

I've said before that one satisfying thing about a man, if you're a woman, is that you can pretty much put anything in front of them, and they'll eat it. This makes cooking a bit less stressful. Yet, I am still repeatedly surprised to find Beau actually shoving things down his pie hole that he claims to despise. Despite the fact that I LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat, I'm actually kind of a picky eater, and can't imagine digesting something that didn't appetize me.

One annoying habit of mine, is that I will become fixated on a food and eat it continuously until I am so sick of it I can't eat it for a long time afterwards. No, we're not talking the "I only eat white food!" kind of thing, but if I get into, let's just say, Jelly Belly sour jellybeans, as I have for the past couple weeks, I will continue to eat them again and again. We just HAPPEN to have a Jelly Belly dispenser at Shop-n-Smile, and I have been getting small bags of the sour ones and snacking on them throughout the day (I don't want to even THINK about the calories). Beau, who is always sniffing out food like a bloodhound, immediately noticed the bag on the counter at home and began pawing it. "What's this? Jellybeans? Yuck, I hate jellybeans," he said, turning away. This is true, since after I made him an Easter basket, the only thing that didn't vaporize within 24 hours were the jellybeans, who sat lonely and untouched for quite some time in the Easter grass.

I was somewhat relieved, because if Beau finds a sweet he likes, it won't stick around for long. Many a time I have griped at him for knocking off pints of ice cream I had bought for myself (after already having bought him one as well). And just forget about having chocolate around him. Just last week he spastically wrestled a mangled mini-Mr. Goodbar from my grasp with a fervor that was frightening (he had been abstaining from chocolate for a week or two at the time).

I have had to devise very clever hiding places just so I can keep a candy bar in the house longer than 25 seconds. I once forgot that I had hidden a bag of Hershey's Kisses in the front pocket of my raincoat and found them months later. He still ate them.

Despite all this, yesterday we were hanging out in the living room and when I gave him a kiss, I was hit with the distinctive aroma of a Jellybelly. (Beau's not the only one who can act like a bloodhound). "Hey!" I said pulling away from his face, "I smell Jellybellies! I thought you hated jellybeans!"

"I do," he replied simply.

Doesn't seem much more to say.

Then this morning I woke up and saw the new box of Golden Grahams cereal was opened. This puzzled me since Beau had clearly stated that he was not a fan, AND also since we had two other boxes of cereal that he DID enjoy.

"Hey, didn't you tell me you hated Golden Grahams?"

"Yes"

"So, um, I noticed you had a bowl or two. Why?"

"I don't know."

Maybe another male can explain this to me, cause seriously, I'm stumped. It's not like we're stranded on a desert island and Beau's only hope for survival and sustenance are the many Jellybelly and Golden Graham trees surrounding him. What gives with consuming, needlessly in my opinion, food that doesn't interest you, or furthermore, food you claim to hate?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are times I try something with the mentality of 'Hey, I wonder if I like [Dr. Pepper] now!' I usually don't...but you shouldn't waste it, since there are kids starving in China...

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, as a child, you make a decision that later on, when you mature, you realize was a poor decision. For myself, as a child, a tomato was the worst thing my mom could ever try to force me to eat but now as an adult a thick slice of juicy, red homegrown tomato combined with a ribeye is one of the greatest things God ever saw fit to put on a plate. Having discovered the re-birth of the tomato I now must force myself to back through all those foods I thought I didnt like. So...I still dont like golden grahams but at 11 pm while playing civ, when there is nothing else sweet in the house....jeelybeans are fair game.
Oh...and unless its hidden in the dirty clothes...nothing is well hidden in a one bedroom apartment. ;)

Steve M said...

Oh sure, I'll eat anything, as long as it's one of the 4 or 5 things I like. Maybe I'm not the best person to answer this question.

J. Cullinane said...

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I said you were the exception to the rule!

Anonymous said...

I would seriously drop dead from surprise if Steve ever willingly ate a vegetable.

With that said, the time WILL come when he has to eat a few bites of veggies so that Audrey will eat hers, too.

NO, you are NOT getting out of it.

Anonymous said...

Jillian, I'm afraid you are going to have to be sneaky about it....

Robert doesn't like to eat veggies. He'll even do the 'ewww, gross' thing in front of Catie when I put veggies out on the table and refuse to put any on his plate. I have to make a big production about how yummy vegstables are and luckily, Catie has picked up a love for many different ones. But, to get Robert to eat his... Just an example: I made one of his favorites, lasagna, the other night, and I put in squash and eggplant so I wouldn't have to make a side dish. All the while I was encouraging Catie to eat the eggplant, Robert was grumbling about the fact that green and purple things do not belong in lasagna.

Oh, I had Robert read this and he responded with: 'But yeah I'd eat your jelly bellies if I couldn't find anything else.' We do the same things. I buy something I like, but he doesn't care for much, and something for him. He finishes his first, then sneaks into mine! Grrrr. ;)

J. Cullinane said...

Thankfully, Beau eats vegetables. That would make me nutso, especially with all the effort that goes into cooking. Luckily, Thai food has lots of veggies (and meat too), so it's not too hard.

Kim: Exactly! I buy the gooey chocolaty ice cream for Beau, which he promptly makes disappear, and then hope in vain that my plain ol' vanilla will keep. Well, if I don't eat it within the first few days, I can kiss it goodbye. The only time I can get him to NOT eat my ice cream is if I buy tangerine sorbet or something, though I think he finally broke down once and had some.

J. Cullinane said...

Btw, I still have a memory of Steve and I ordering Chinese food (he always got that General Tso's chicken or whatever), and every time he was finished, all that was left was a giant bed of gooey broccoli. Not once nibble!

Steve M said...

"I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli."

--George H.W. Bush

J. Cullinane said...

*laugh*

Anonymous said...

"I still dont like golden grahams but at 11 pm while playing civ, when there is nothing else sweet in the house....jellybeans are fair game."

- That's *all* you need to know about men and foodstuffs :D

Anonymous said...

We've seen Steve EAT LETTUCE!

Beachgal said...

I'm the picky eater in this household, and getting my child to eat vegetables is impossible. He will gag and throw up, seriously, AT the table, if you put a bite, ONE little bite into his mouth. I gave up.

If I don't like something, I'm not going to eat it, period. My hubby will eat just about anything. Not sure if he eats stuff he doesn't like, because I tend to buy stuff we both like or stuff I know he likes if it isn't something I'll eat.

I love that Bush quote, btw.

Anonymous said...

I know Matt does the 'hey, maybe I've developed a liking for this food since I was 5' taste-testing so I was giong to suggest it as a reason. Of course, 3 or 4 other people already beat me to it, so I am not clever after all.

J. Cullinane said...

Well, to be fair, as a child I hated mushrooms, and now they're one of my very favorite foods. But I don't think there'll ever be a day I'll suddenly love onions.

Or beets.

Or wasabi (sorry Lazuli).

Blech.

Anonymous said...

I hated mushrooms and cheese as a child (love 'em both now, though). Visiting a schoolfriend's house when I was 15, his mother thought she'd treat us to pizza. I chomped it down out of politeness while watching "Halloween 3", all the while trying not to be ill...

Thankfully Chinese cuisine includes a lot of vegetables, so I've never had the aversion that some people are reporting (everything tastes good when stir-fried with oyster sauce).

I'll still never go for celery. If it's true that it takes more calories to digest than you get from eating it, then it's the anti-food and therefore the debbil!

J. Cullinane said...

Mmmmm oyster sauce.

And celery is the devil. Well, raw. When it's cooked in soup it gives off a heavenly aroma.

Anonymous said...

Jenn, don't worry, I'll eat the onions for you!

J. Cullinane said...

Have 'em all! Hope Steve doesn't mind when you're smoochin!